Monday, March 16, 2015

Birds, Squirrels, etc.

Woodpecker visiting birdie crack house, er, feeder.
Uninvited guest




















My daughter is a bird nut and an evangelist for any form of nature activity, so a while back she gave me a pair of binoculars and a field guide.  I thought, “Great, now I will have fun watching birds from my window.”  “Not so fast,” said the birds. “You are taking a very superficial attitude to our presence in your yard.  In fact, just calling it your yard is an affront to us.  We were here first.”

Birds were all over our property but I couldn’t see them very well. They flew from tree to tree, chirped and cawed, built nests, hopped around on the ground looking for bugs, and drove the cat crazy, but no way would they come close enough to my observation post to let me ID them, or even see what they were doing in any kind of satisfying detail.


Peaceful lunching.
When I complained to my daughter about the lack of birdly cooperation she said, “Put up a feeder near the window.”  Well duh.

First I put up the kind of feeder that holds packaged suet and peanut butter food.  The birds mobbed the feeder. I understood then why my daughter calls this food “birdie crack.”  Later I got another feeder that holds birdseed.  That one's been popular too.  Note to self: This activity could get expensive; time to stop relying entirely on the pricey storebought stuff.  Find out what kind of flowers and berries our birds like, then plant more of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ideas and questions welcome.